Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Cottage Week

25.  Scout talking to me through the jangle of my own necklace.  Still feeling her presence, staying with the loss, not yet obliged to fill in her empty spaces.
26.  J. reminding me of Scout stories I had forgotten.  Happy to be building the story of her life in memories both happy and sad.
27. Daughter's beaming account of her daddy buying her flowers.
28.  My children hugging their great grandmother in person: eagerly, without reservation.
29.   Holding my grandma's hand in my own, having conversations about my hair, my milk, her clothes.  Sharing a meal, her life right now; grateful she is back and I can still sit next to her.
30.  An interaction between N. and Grandma, discussing the finer points of coloring.
31.  The chance to ride in the backseat while my father drives.
32. Text banter with my husband.
33.  After bedtime giggling and whispering between bunk beds.
34.  Layers and layers of mismatched blankets and sheets.
35.    Wine in plastic cups by the campfire.
36.  Each of my children with a broom or a bucket in hand, enthusiastic to make a mess disappear.
37.  Vending machine thrills.  Holding sour cream and onion chips aloft, O. proclaims:  "It's like the claw machine, only you always win!"
38.  O. eating, eating, eating.
39.  Finger flashlights aglow, chasing young energy through all the rooms of our little cottage in the woods.

1 comment: